What We Are Building
Hiku is focused on building a portfolio of iconic, engaging cannabis brands, immersive retail experiences and handcrafted cannabis production. With a national retail footprint led by Tokyo Smoke, craft cannabis production through DOJA’s ACMPR licensed grow, and Van der Pop’s female-focused educational platforms, Hiku houses an industry-leading portfolio that sets the bar for cannabis brands in Canada.
We are looking for a Retail Buyer to join us in Toronto to manage and own the purchasing process for one of our categories.
What We Are Looking For
With a proven track record of success in the retail industry, the Retail Buyer will be responsible for developing relationships with suppliers and purchasing product for our national retail footprint, to exceed company financial goals and objectives.
- Establishes and maintains strong supplier relationships including relationships with Licenced Producers, Government Bodies and Vendors where applicable. Ensures insight into future supply availability, new products and/or categories coming onto market, and any new vendors emerging in the industry.
- Negotiates with suppliers (where applicable) on obtaining the best possible trade terms in regard to distribution, exclusivity, margin, mark-up, return allowances, etc.
- Prepares seasonal category assortment plan and presents plans in conjunction with Director, Buying & Merchandising to Senior Leadership for alignment. Outlines growth categories, growth partners and other strategic objectives for product.
- Manages writing of Purchase Orders with support from Assistant Buyer, ensuring accuracy in item, costing and delivery information.
- Partners with Suppliers and internal Distribution/Logistics to ensure insight into future deliveries and that planned inventory levels and being maintained. Ensures inventory receipt against placed Purchase Orders.
- Manages Assistant Buyer to ensure Item Creation, PO Creation, PO Tracking and other pertinent administrative requirements for ERP are being met.
- Engages and develops commitments from Suppliers with regards to Partnership Marketing and provides feedback to Retail Marketing on improvements or additions to the program offering. Ensures we are maximizing trade dollars from Suppliers to maximize gross margin.
- Maintains knowledge of product offering from competition in the market and takes steps to ensure banner product and pricing is optimal at all times and point of difference is clear to consumer through product offering. Takes necessary steps to prepare and manage recommended price changes.
- Provides input with Planning on the development of purchase plans with regards to new products in developments from suppliers, new supplier relationships, store feedback and customer insights. Ensures a strong point of view from a product perspective in our retail stores and differentiation that aligns strongly with the overall brand.
- Develops long-term relationships with key vendor partners and works with Planning and Leadership to develop two-year strategic partner plans for growth.
- 7+ years Buying experience in a retail environment
- Education and training in business or other relevant area
- Entrepreneurial in nature and solutions focused
- Analytical and product focused with a strong ability to interpret data and set strategy
- Exceptional cross functional relationship building and communication skills
- Advanced Excel skills